(Curious Curios, Awesome Oddities, and Treacherous Trinkets)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Whatever Happened to Tock?

I love clockwork.  I love the way it moves.  I love the winding of the mechanism.  Most of all, I love the delicate "Tick-tock" sound it makes as the internal spring thingy goes all ratchetty with the. . .um. . . ratchetty thingy.  And then the gear bits move. . and it makes noise.

Ok, clearly, I'm not a watch maker.

Still, I have loved that sound my entire life.  And yet. . .

Something has been driving me absolutely bugnuts about the analog clock at work.  The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me.  Then, I realized that I can't stand analog watches either.  How is this possible?  How is it possible that I could hate clocks?

Then it hit me.  What's missing is "Tock".

All day long, the hands travel around the clock by the door, with only a loud click to mark off the half hour, and a strange latch sound to denote the hour. It sounds like this: "Tick-tick-tick-CLUNK. . .Tick-tick-tick-CAH-CHUNK!"  My battery operated watch just ticks along incessantly.  No "Tock."  Not ever.

Whatever happened to "Tock?"  What happened to the mechanical heartbeat of time?  Did we just slap a battery in it, and demand it soldier on through the ages?  I want my counterstroke back!  I want my offbeat! I want my tiny tinny tympanic salute!

THEREFORE:

Today I bring you the mechanical watch.  They are still out there.  Sure, they're a bit pricier than the lithium battery variety.  Sure, they're fussy, and more prone to running out or losing time.  But they SOUND awesome, damnit.

Here are my two favorites this morning:


Akribos XXIV: Davinci


Akribos XXIV: Skeleton

Okay...I hate the bands.  I'll give you that,  But the little whirly bits are awesome....and you can WIND THEM!!!

And while you're all agreeing to dress in ways that suit my fancy. . .

Gentlemen, please begin wearing these immediately:


The Distressed Fossil Messenger Bag.  Oh, Sexy!


Ok...you don't have to wear this all the time...maybe just in the bedroom. . .

There.  Those are my Devious Little Things for this morning.  Oh, how I love them.  Now. . .on to look at mechanical wall clocks. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment